A previous randomized clinical trial comparing traditional tumescent liposuction and SmartLipo was performed, and this showed the following findings:
- Less post-operative pain with SmartLipo.
- Cytologic studies showed more damage of the adipocytes (fat cells) in SmartLipo. Thus, fat harvested from SmartLipo is not suitable for fat grafting, such as in Brazilian Butt Lift.
- No major clinical differences found between SmartLipo versus Traditional Tumescent liposuction.
- Surgical time was longer with the SmartLipo group.
- Higher concentration of free fatty acids were found in the SmartLipo group.
- Lipocrit is lower in the SmartLipo group.
In conclusion: "No major clinical differences for suction-assisted lipoplasty versus laser-assisted lipoplasty were found. Higher concentrations of free-fatty acids after laser-assisted lipoplasty must alert us to possible hepatic and renal toxicity."
Reference: Prado, et al. A prospective, randomized, double-blind, controlled clinical trial comparing laser-assisted lipoplasty with suction-assisted lipoplasty. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006 Sep 15;118(4):1032-45.
Emmanuel De La Cruz MD, PLLC
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon